News

Hallets of Canterbury 1952-2011

In 1952 Steve Abbott embarked on the construction of S.T. Abbott’s first commercial build project.

The site at the junction of St Dunstan’s Street and Station Road West, Canterbury was a row of cottages that had been damaged by bombing during the war.

A new showroom was built and initially motorcycles and Ford cars were sold there. The premises included a workshop and a forecourt with petrol pumps.

 

The company sponsored one of its employees, Derek Minter, who went on to win the Isle of Man TT in 1962 in the 250cc class.

 

 

 

The business traded for 58 years and was eventually sold the site to a developer and construction of student accommodation and a retail unit began in 2011. This followed an extensive archaeological dig which uncovered many interesting items including a 400,000 year old elephant tusk and many skeletons. The site was the subject of a large Roman cemetery.

Hallets-6

Pavilion-25

 

 

BACK