In 1947 Steve Abbott who was working for Browning and Denne as a bricklayer, left to set up his own construction firm after purchasing a piece of land in Blean, Nr Canterbury, Kent.
The first project that he embarked on was the construction of a pair of bungalows on part of the site. One was to be for his family and the other to be sold for £1,000.00. The company still has the original hand drawn plans that the bungalows were built too all the information contained on one A1 sheet. These are in a picture frame hanging up in the office, as well as the first years accounts.
During the 50’s Steve continued to carry out mainly residential projects, usually completing one house before starting the next. When his son Tony joined the firm in 1960 he had plans to expand and with the help of the bank and business partners, the company was able to carry out several projects at a time and during the 60’s and 70’s carried out some quote large projects including the building of the 20 house Winchester Garden Estate in Canterbury and several houses in Rough Common. The 80’s and 90’s saw a continuation of house building, but many more commercial and industrial projects were undertaken. This included a long run of garage refurbishments for Peugeot Motors which started with the building of a new service station at Canterbury Motors and saw the company undertake their furthest project to date with the refurbishment of Peugeots Bristol Showroom.
The company is now on its 3rd generation with Paul Abbott as Managing Director. He is supported by a professional team who now work for many Architects on a range of interesting projects across Kent.
Notable projects constructed during the last 20 years include Hallets, Station Road West; Canterbury Motor Company Service Station; Dogs Trust, Basildon, Essex; Tyland Barn, Maidstone; Student Village, Parham Road Canterbury; Refurbishment of Kings School Shop, Canterbury and Demelza House, Eltham, London.